A £10000 professional overhaul of the electrics was part of the refit and has been a major success with not a single problem encountered during our 12 month journey. The new solar panel and batteries provided all the energy we needed regardless of latitude. This was in part due to the low energy requirement of the boat with efficient LED lighting, coolbox (rather than fridge) and no autopilot (windvane steering). What follows is a summary of the hardware:
- 240W Panasonic solar panel installed with pivot mechanism on the goalposts on the stern of the boat (2015).
- The previous solar panel still works and is stored on board as a back up, and easily plugged in through a cockpit mounted attachment.
- Panels feed in to newly installed 880Ah domestic battery with custom made plywood fibreglass lined box incase of acid spills (2015)
- 12V 1200VA Victorn Phoenix inverter (2015). With this we were able to operate even high power 240v tools such as a finger file and sander.
Navigation and chart station
- Iridium Go Satellite hub and external antenna (connects to smart phone/tablets for phone, sms, email and downloadable forecasts)
- Tricolour, deck light and anchor light (2015)
- Deck mounted navigation and steaming lights (2015)
- McMurdo AIS transponder (2015)
- Icom DSC Radio (20150
- New Bi-Data depth sounder and speed log (2015). Displayed in cockpit.
- High capacity automatic/manual bilge pump (2015).
- All domestic lights low power LED (2015)
- Greywater and heads drain pump replaced 2015
- Engine temperature, oil pressure and gearbox temperature gauges in cockpit (2015).